The Importance of Cleanings and Preventative Dentistry
At Creative Smiles in Vancouver, WA, we are in the teeth-saving business. While we can certainly repair or replace damaged teeth when necessary, we believe there is nothing better than a full set of natural, healthy pearly-whites. Dr. Carl Futenma offers treatments in preventative dentistry to help patients preserve healthy teeth and gums for years to come.
Most people have heard that dental cleanings are recommended every six months. But did you know there is a scientific reason behind it? The bacteria present in the oral cavity begin to repopulate every few months. For most patients, six-month cleanings eradicate bacteria before the levels become unmanageable. People who are predisposed to certain dental issues, such as tooth decay or gum disease, may require more frequent cleanings to maintain healthy teeth and gums. Dr. Futenma can help you determine an effective cleaning schedule for your unique needs.
Regular dental cleanings offer numerous benefits for your oral and overall health. Some of these advantages include:
- Prevention of Tooth Decay: Plaque on the teeth harbors bacteria that cause decay. Dental cleanings effectively remove the plaque and eradicate cavity-causing bacteria.
- Prevention of Gum Disease: If plaque remains on the teeth, it can begin to irritate the gums, causing them to become red, swollen, and tender. The bacteria in the plaque can travel deep into the gum line and destroy the bone that surrounds the teeth, resulting in mobility or tooth loss. Routine cleanings remove the bacteria before problems develop.
- Prevention of Bad Breath: Halitosis, or bad breath, can be caused by a number of factors, including poor hygiene, food impaction, or gum disease. Dental cleanings address these issues and prevent bad breath.
- Improved Overall Health: There is an undeniable link between oral health and overall wellbeing. The same bacteria found in the oral cavity are carried in your bloodstream to other parts of the body. Dental cleanings can help keep bacteria levels manageable.
- Whiter Teeth: The typical diet consists of foods that stain the teeth, such as coffee, tea, red wine, fruit juices, and colas. A dental cleaning can remove surface stains for a brighter, whiter smile.
Our hygienists at Creative Smiles are skilled and knowledgeable. When you receive a dental cleaning at our practice, your teeth will be debrided using a combination of hand scalers and ultrasonic instruments. Our team will also take your individual needs into account, and will help you develop an at-home oral hygiene regimen to keep your smile healthy between visits.
Regular Dental Examinations
Oral bacteria can wreak havoc on your teeth and gums. Once the infection causes a cavity or an infection in the gums, the problem can spread quickly. For this reason, it is vitally important to attend routine dental appointments. Even if you are not having pain, it is essential for Dr. Futenma to monitor your oral health so that any minor issues can be detected early. With an early diagnosis, common dental problems can be treated effectively and non-invasively. Routine dental care is a small investment that can save you a significant amount of time, worry, and money in the future.
As part of your preventative dentistry treatment, digital x-rays will be taken when necessary. The frequency at which we take new x-rays will depend on a variety of factors, including your current dental health and your medical history. Some patients may only require x-rays every year or two, while others may need them at every dental visit. If you are prone to decay or gum disease, it will prove beneficial to obtain new images frequently so we can prevent minor issues from progressing.
At Creative Smiles, our diagnostic imaging is completely digital. Therefore, our x-rays emit 90 percent less radiation than conventional x-ray units. Patient safety is our number one priority, so you can rest assured you will be treated with the highest standard of care while you are visiting our office.
Schedule a Consultation at Creative Smiles
To learn more about treatments in preventative dentistry, schedule an appointment with Dr. Futenma. Contact us online, or call our office at (360) 574-3061.