Improve Your Aesthetics with a Comprehensive Smile Makeover Procedure
Maybe you have healthy teeth and gums, and you pride yourself on never missing a dental appointment. Even patients who maintain excellent oral health may be unhappy with certain aesthetic aspects of their smile. A smile makeover can combine a number of cosmetic treatments in one comprehensive procedure. At Creative Smiles in Vancouver, WA, Dr. Carl Futenma can perform a smile makeover to address the unique needs of each individual, giving them a beautiful outcome and a boost in confidence.
Who is a Candidate for a Smile Makeover?
Patients who are in good oral and overall health are outstanding candidates for a smile makeover procedure. This treatment can address a number of cosmetic concerns, including:
- Chipped teeth
- Cracked or fractured teeth
- Tooth erosion
- Misshapen teeth
- Spacing or gaps between the teeth
- “Gummy” smiles
- Tooth discoloration
- Asymmetrical gum lines
- Slightly crooked teeth
It must be noted that patients who are experiencing more serious dental concerns, such as gum disease or extensive tooth decay, should have health-related issues addressed first. If dental damage and infection is present, it can compromise the appearance and success of any cosmetic procedures. Patients can pursue a smile makeover after undergoing any necessary restorative treatments.
Your Initial Consultation
During an initial consultation with Dr. Futenma, he will perform a full oral assessment to evaluate the condition of the teeth and gums. This will include cavity detection, a bite check, periodontal probing, and more. This will ensure that you are in optimal oral health. X-rays and scans will be taken as well to make sure there are no problems affecting the underlying jawbone.
Dr. Futenma will discuss your goals with you in detail, and may take photographs so we can document your progress later on. During this appointment, it is helpful if you can describe your cosmetic concerns in as much detail as possible. By doing so, Dr. Futenma can design a personalized treatment plan to address your specific dental goals.
Commonly Combined Treatments
Because each patient is unique, every smile makeover will be different. There are several procedures that can be combined for a smile makeover, including:
- Porcelain Veneers: These incredibly thin tooth-colored restorations can be affixed to the front surfaces of teeth to conceal cosmetic imperfections, such as chips and fractures. Veneers are an excellent way to mask discoloration that cannot be successfully addressed with teeth whitening.
- Dental Bonding: Composite resin, a high-quality dental material, can be applied to teeth in order to camouflage minor aesthetic flaws. Many patients choose dental bonding as a more affordable alternative to porcelain veneers.
- Gum Contouring: Patients who have excess gum tissue, or a “gummy” smile, can achieve a more desirable look with a gum contouring procedure. Using our advanced dental laser, Dr. Futenma can reshape the gum line with accuracy and precision. Laser therapy also reduces post-operative bleeding and discomfort.
- Tooth Contouring: If you have teeth that are misshapen, tooth contouring can reshape the teeth for a more aesthetically-pleasing appearance. This procedure is often combined with dental bonding.
- Professional Teeth Whitening: To enhance your smile, our teeth whitening kits by Opalescence® can brighten teeth up to eight shades lighter. Because dental materials like porcelain and composite resin do not respond to bleaching, we typically recommend whitening your teeth before you have any restorations placed.
Schedule a Consultation with Us Today
If you are interested in improving the aesthetics of your smile, schedule a visit with Dr. Futenma to find out if a smile makeover is right for you. Call our office at (360) 574-3061 or contact us online anytime.